The Victim Service Center of Central Florida, Inc. (VSC) operates the only Certified Rape Crisis Center for both Orange and Osceola Counties in Florida.
24-Hour Sexual Assault Hotline: VSC provides around the clock support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Through our 24-Hour Sexual Assault Hotline, you will be in immediate contact with a Sexual Assault Counselor who can provide crisis intervention, service options, and information on sexual assault.
Recent Sexual Assault
Acute (within 5 days following the sexual assault): Services include immediate support and advocacy to both reporting and non-reporting victims of sexual assault. Services can include forensic evidence collection by a SANE (Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner) that occurs in our private facility which offers a calming home-like environment. A certified Victim Advocate will accompany the victim during the exam, and all information provided to the advocate is considered confidential per F.S. 90.5035. Services can be received regardless of whether a victim reports the crime to law enforcement.
- Accompaniment for forensic collection/rape kit
- In-person crisis intervention
- Medical intervention
- Basic Needs including food, clothing, transportation, and hygiene needs
- Safety Planning
Past Sexual Assault
VSC offers services outside of the initial 120 hours for adults who were victims of childhood sexual abuse or incest including:
- Trauma informed crisis counseling services
- Individualized support
- Assistance with the criminal justice system
- Case management
- Victims compensation
- Support groups
- Injunctions for protection
Forensic and Medical Services
- Currently, VSC is the certified Rape Crisis Center for Orange and Osceola Counties. In that role, our team of expert Sexual Assault Nurse Examiners (SANE’s) provide 24/7 on-call forensic examinations and medical services for victims ages 12 & older. Our SANE’s are registered nurses who have specialized education and advanced clinical skills in the physical assessment and urgent treatment of patients who have experienced sexual assault or abuse. SANE professionals are always available to conduct forensic examinations at either of our confidential forensic collection sites in Orange and Osceola Counties as well as area hospitals. In addition, our nurse examiners also provide expert witness testimony during sexual assault criminal cases.
- SANE and Victim Advocates work collaboratively to provide trauma-informed care to clients. Advocates and Forensic Nurses spend an average of 4 hours with the client during each forensic case. When a victim arrives at either the Orange County Sexual Assault Treatment Center (SATC) or the Osceola Care Center, he or she is often required to relinquish all of their clothing in order to assist detectives in the crucial process of collecting evidence. When victims receive these services at one of our facilities, we provide new clothing, food, beverages, a place to shower, and supply of hygiene items, and transportation home or to a safe location.